
Gone but not forgotten...
Sitting out at the Memorial Day service today near the little town where I grew up. I saw the flags waving in the breeze, heard the community choir singing patriotic songs, the sound of guns shooting blanks 21 times, and the sad sound of taps playing in the distance. I remember as a little girl carrying the wreaths and flags to the gravestones of these soldiers from so many Wars ago...the names sounded familiar...two of them especially...my husband's dad and my husband's grandfather.
Joel's grandpa Russell Shaffer was killed in France during World War II by a land mine at the age of 23. Joel's mother was just two years old and would never get to know her father. Grandma Gertie still has the purple heart tucked away in her old wooden trunk along with old photos and the letters from her husband... he was so anxious to come home to be with his girls! Today we remember those brave souls who gave their lives for our freedom!! Today I am thankful for those men and women who fought to protect and preserve this land. May God Bless the USA!



1 comment:
There is so much sadness....loss of family and loss of life. I know, "they are in a better place", but what if this was a pretty darn good place for them to be with family for a while longer? I am thinking about John tonight and the sadness of that family. Looking forward to all the reunions in heaven someday. Good night, friend.
Post a Comment