Monday, January 12, 2009



"The Love Dare"...If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal...1Cor 13

Several months ago we went with some married couples to see the movie "Fireproof". We weren't sure what to expect but thought it was a good message.


In the movie there is a young married couple going through some difficult times...how many of us who have been married a few years haven't experienced some of these "growing pains"? Those of us who have been married over two decades have been through some difficult time and have had to make adjustments in our marriages...we have had to learn to put our spouse's needs before ours at certain times. To refrain from being selfish in our needs and focus on our partner's needs...sometimes this is not easy to do. The movie introduces the "love dare" as a way to think differently...it is a journey to demonstrate genuine love to your spouse without trying to change them into what we "think" they should be. Isn't that the most challenging thing to do in marriage...not to try to change our spouse? God knows I have tried to change him for the twenty three and half years of our marriage...but seriously... he is what he is and I am what I am...the truth is love is a decision and not just a feeling. Love is selfless and sacrificial...not easy for most of us to be selfless.

Each day of the Love Dare is a journey...you will learn a unique aspect of love, then be given a "dare" to do for your spouse...then you have a journal space to log what you are learning. You can do this as a couple or alone as a gift to give your spouse. My husband is "getting" it...as he asks my each day..."so what nice thing are you supposed to be doing for me today?" He says with a sly little smile on his lips...yes, this isn't always an easy task for me...but I am learning to love in a whole new way and I am receiving a greater love in return without even asking...it's called the dare because it's not going to be easy...but it will be worth it...love always is!

No comments: