
What's your life story? This is a chapter in ours...
"Chasing the dream"... twenty years ago back in 1989, my husband had a dream to start farming.
We had a one year old son and had been married a few years by then but being a "town girl" I had no clue what living on a farm was all about. I had been exposed to farm life in brief intervals while visiting friends and relatives. My husband had been raised as a farm boy and as they say you can't change those farm boys...and hard as I may have tried at the time...there was not changing his heart and mind. So scraping together all our savings we cashed in a CD and bought our first tractor from a neighbor...rented about 260 acres of farmland and pasture...and the 100 yr old farmhouse that went with the deal. I remember the emotion we felt plunging into the unknown and having very little financial resources for this farming adventure. Thankfully, with help from Joel's mom and dad who lived a mile down the road...we made it. Taking out loans for crops that might not grow, buying cattle to feed and hoping the market would hold until they were sold...buying equipment we couldn't afford...it all looked so big and yet this was a risk we (or he) had to take...and I guess I was along for the ride...good, bad and otherwise it has been a learning process for both of us...lots of hard work...long hours, lost sleep and adjusting to the reality of farm/ranch living. Looking back I am grateful that my husband had the foresight and the courage to take this risk and with working extra jobs and taking things as they came we have been blessed beyond our dreams. It all starts with a dream and some initiative...but with hard work and God's help it can become a reality. So reflect on your life story and if you don't have a plan or a dream to follow yet...with a little courage I hope you can find one this year!
We had a one year old son and had been married a few years by then but being a "town girl" I had no clue what living on a farm was all about. I had been exposed to farm life in brief intervals while visiting friends and relatives. My husband had been raised as a farm boy and as they say you can't change those farm boys...and hard as I may have tried at the time...there was not changing his heart and mind. So scraping together all our savings we cashed in a CD and bought our first tractor from a neighbor...rented about 260 acres of farmland and pasture...and the 100 yr old farmhouse that went with the deal. I remember the emotion we felt plunging into the unknown and having very little financial resources for this farming adventure. Thankfully, with help from Joel's mom and dad who lived a mile down the road...we made it. Taking out loans for crops that might not grow, buying cattle to feed and hoping the market would hold until they were sold...buying equipment we couldn't afford...it all looked so big and yet this was a risk we (or he) had to take...and I guess I was along for the ride...good, bad and otherwise it has been a learning process for both of us...lots of hard work...long hours, lost sleep and adjusting to the reality of farm/ranch living. Looking back I am grateful that my husband had the foresight and the courage to take this risk and with working extra jobs and taking things as they came we have been blessed beyond our dreams. It all starts with a dream and some initiative...but with hard work and God's help it can become a reality. So reflect on your life story and if you don't have a plan or a dream to follow yet...with a little courage I hope you can find one this year!



2 comments:
Calvin and Kavian are here and looking at your pictures. They recognize Mia of course, and Marilyn and Joel, but had to ask about that "other boy" Seth. Anyway, Calvin said to tell you, "I like your red barn" and Kavian said, "I like your cows and barn and fences and puppy". Have a great day. CArol, Calvin and Kavian
What a beautiful reflection you've shared here! Thank you for letting us "peek" into your life story. It's beautiful -- as are you!
Post a Comment